Bachelor Recipes, Christmas Recipes, CUISINE, Dinner, Diwali Recipes, Easter Recipes, Featured, Kerala, KERALA DISHES, Kerala Recipes, Kids Recipes, Lunch, Main Course, Onam Recipes, Party Recipes, Ramadan Recipes, Restaurant Style, South India, SPECIAL RECIPES, Uncategorized, Variety Rice Recipes, Vegetarian, VEGETARIAN, Vishu Recipes
Kerala Ghee Rice / Malabar Neychoru Recipe
August 13, 2020
Kerala Ghee Rice / Malabar Neychoru Recipe is a tasty and easy main dish from south India. It is rice fried and cooked in ghee, along with aromatic Indian spices and garnish with fried onions, dry nuts, raisins, etc. NeyChoru/neyichoru is very popular in Kerala, especially in the Malabar region. The Malayalam word ‘ney/neyi’ means ghee and ‘choru’ means rice. In Malabar, For festivals and occasions especially Muslim weddings NeyChoru is commonly used as the main dish. It complements with different types of veg and non-veg masala gravy curries, yogurt salads/raita, lime pickle, and pappad.
For me, it is a simple and understandable recipe. If there is an unpredictable guest over at your home and you have nothing to feed them other than leftover curry, you can make this tasty NeyChoru enhance the taste of the curry. While attempting to make perfect ghee rice, there are certain points to look out for. The ghee and the rice used has to be of good brand and quality. For perfect ghee rice, you can choose any good brand basmati/biryani rice but if you want authentic Kerala/ Malabar style ney choru/ney choru choose any good brand Jeerakasala or Kaima rice (small aromatic rice).
The next important thing is the way or process of rice preparation. The perfect ghee rice and its taste depend upon its perfect texture, it shouldn’t overcook or undercook. The right measurement/proportion of the rice and water ratio is very important. It sometimes varies according to the nature of rice as well as its cooking method.
For rice cooking, you can choose the electric rice cooker method, pressure cooker method, or normal pot/one-pot cooking method. Personally I am very confident with the electric rice cooker method and I am sharing here as a
video, also please read the rest of the methods below in my recipe/method instruction.
Ingredients for Ghee Rice
- Basmati/Biryani Rice
- 1 cup
- 2 (Thinly sliced)
- 5 tbsp (adjust)
- 2-inch stick
- 1 pinch
- Bay leaf
- Cashew nuts
- 10 numbers
- 10 numbers
- 1 + 1/2 cup
How to prepare perfect Kerala Ghee Rice / Malabar Neychoru Recipe, with step by step method pictures
1. Choose any good brand basmati rice or Kaima/Jeerakasala rice (here I am using basmati rice).
2. Wash/rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
3. Soak the rice in enough water for 20 to 30 minutes. ( If you are using jeerakasala/kaima rice, soaking is not needed, wash well and drain directly)
4. Transfer to a colander/strainer and drain well, set aside.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a wide pan, add cashew nuts.
6. Fry until light brown.
7. Add raisins, fry until they swell up.
8. once cashew nuts are golden, transfer them into a plate. Keep aside.
9. Add more ghee to the pan if required and add thinly sliced onions. Sprinkle a pinch salt, it helps the onion browns faster.
10. Once it turns golden, transfer them as well the plate. keep aside.
11. The same pan, add bit more ghee. Add whole spices, Saute until they turn fragrant.
12. Add drained rice and saute gently (without breaking the rice) next 2 to 3 minutes. make sure rice well combine with ghee and spices, turn off the heat.
13. If you are using an electric rice cooker, transfer the rice immediately to the rice cooker. If you are using the same pan, continue the next process. If you are using a pressure cooker transfer the rice to the pressure cooker and follow the next steps.
14. Add water, Electric rice cooker (1 1/4 cup water) or pressure cooker (1 3/4 cup water) needs less water than the normal pan ( 2 cup water) cooking. Water quantity may vary according to the rice brand and its quality.
15. Add salt to taste. mix well. Check the taste of the water and it should taste slightly salty.
16. Cooking Time and Method
Electric Rice Cooker = close the rice cooker and use normal white rice cooking mode.
Pressure Cooker = 1 Whistle (medium-l0w Flame)
Normal Pot/pan = 10-15 Minutes (low-medium flame), First, allow the water to boil, then cover and cook in a low flame until all the water is absorbed and done. If you are using boiling water, cover and cook for 6 – 8 minutes
17. When it’s done use a fork gently fluff up the rice.
18. Garnish with fried cashew nuts, raisins, and onions.
19. Transfer it to a serving dish.
20 serve hot with chicken curry, mutton curry, beef curry, veg masala curry, etc… In Malabar, ghee rice/ney choru and parippu curry also one of the best combo. Enjoy your Kerala Ghee Rice / Malabar Neychoru