Prawn(Shrimp) Drum Stick Curry/Konju (Chemmeen) Muringikka Ozhichu Curry
April 9, 2018
Prawn(Shrimp) Drum Stick Curry/Konju (Chemmeen) Muringikka Ozhichu Curry is an authentic recipe of certain places in kerala. This recipe is very popular in my hometown and I learned this tasty seafood delicacy from my mom. Normally she prepares this mild spicy coconut gravy curry during the drumstick and mango season in Kerala. For the tangy sour taste, she uses fresh green mangoes or unripe tomatoes. In this recipe I used unripe tomatoes. This is one of our family favorites ‘ Ozhichu Curry’ (watery side dish) as well as Kerala prawn recipe. When I prepare this dish in my home, I ate more rice with full pot of Prawn(Shrimp) Drum Stick Curry and I don’t need any other dishes rather than a spoon of pickle 😀
Ingredients For Kerala Prawn(Shrimp) Drum Stick Curry/Konju (Chemmeen) Muringikka Ozhichu Curry
- 250 g (Peeled)
- Drum Stick
- 2 (Cut into lengthwise)
- Tomato (Unripe)
- 2 medium (Diced)
- Green Chilli
- 3 to 4(slit into two)
- Big Onion(Savola)
- 1 (Sliced)
- Curry Leaves
- 1 Sprig
- 1 1/2 to 2 Cups
- To taste
- Kashmiri Chilli
- 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon
- Grated Coconut
- 1 Cup
- Roasted Cumin(Jeerakam)Powder
- 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients For Tempting Prawn(Shrimp) Drum Stick Curry/Konju (Chemmeen) Muringikka Ozhichu Curry
- Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoon
- ½ Teaspoon
- Shallots(Small Onion)
- 3 (Chopped)
- Garlic (Optional)
- 3 cloves (chopped)
- Red Dry chilly
- 3 (Cut into small)
- Curry leaves
- 1 Sprig
How to Make Kerala Prawn(Shrimp) Drum Stick Curry/Konju (Chemmeen) Muringikka Ozhichu Curry with Step by Step method Pictures.
1. Place drumstick, onion, green chilli, tomato, curry leaves, 1 tbs chilli and 1 tsp turmeric powder, required salt and water etc to a mann chatti (clay pot) or non stick pan.
2. Cover and cook until drumstick is done.
3. Add cleaned prawns.
4. Cook next 5 minutes (Do not overcook prawns, it will be rubbery in texture).
5. Meanwhile, place grated coconut and 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder in a blender (small jar).
6. Grind with little water and make a smooth form.
7. Add it to the cooked prawn mixture. Mix well.
8. Uncover, cook next 3 to 4 minutes. Taste and add salt if required . Remove from heat, Keep aside.
9. In a frying pan, heat coconut oil. Add ingredients for tempting curry. Fry until the onions turn golden brown and crispy.
10. Pour over to the Prawn Drum Stick Curry.
11. Mix well.
12. keep few minutes for setting.
Serve with hot rice or chappathi, Enjoy 🙂