Bachelor Recipes, Kerala, Kerala Recipes, Lunch Side Dishes, Onam Recipes, Pickle Recipes, Pickles, Sadya Recipes, Uncategorized, Vegetarian, Vishu Recipes
kerala sadya Mango Pickle/ Instant cut mango Pickle
August 22, 2020
Kerala sadya Mango Pickle/ Instant cut mango Pickle (സദ്യ മാങ്ങാ അച്ചാർ) is an important condiment addition to the Onam sadya or wedding sadya along with the side dishes (thoducurry) such as inji curry, lime pickle or naranga curry. Sadhya/Sadya (സദ്യ) is a feast of Kerala origin and of importance to all Malayalees/Keralites, consisting of a variety of traditional vegetarian dishes usually served on a banana leaf in Kerala as lunch, Sadhya means banquet in Malayalam. Sadhya is typically served as a traditional dish for Onam, the state festival of Kerala.
I am a big fan of pickles and I have grown up eating delicious and authentic Indian pickles made by my grandmother as well as my mother. I am already shared a few of my nostalgia HERE with a wonderful Kaduku Manga Pickle recipe. Also, you can find my delicious dry Mango Pickle recipe HERE.
Cut Mango Pickle or manga curry is an indispensable side dish for Onam/Vishu Sadya (Kerelites Feasts). My home, this pickle is an important dish so I prepare and store it for daily use. Personally I love this pickle as it is made quickly and can be made in small quantities. In this recipe, we need fresh and sour raw mangoes with thin skin. During my last visit to Little India (Singapore), I got few fresh mangoes and thought I should cook and share the “Kerala manga Pickle” recipe for Onam. Watch my VIDEO for more details.
Vegetarian side dish
15 to 20 minutes
15 to 20 pax
Ingredients for kerala sadya Mango Pickle/ Instant cut mango Pickle
- Chopped Fresh Raw Mango
- 3 cups
- Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli
- Curry leaves
- 2 Spring
- Chopped Ginger
- 1 tbs
- Chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp
- Hing/Asafoetida (Kaayam) Powder
- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek (Uluva)powder
- 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder
- 4 tsp (adjust)
- White Vinegar
- 2 tbsp (adjust )
- Sesame oil/Nallenna
- 2 tbsp (adjust)
How to make Kerala sadya Mango Pickle/ Instant cut mango Pickle
1. Select fresh raw mangoes. If its skin is thick, peel them off slightly.
2. Chop the mango into small/even cubes.
3. Marinate the mango pieces with salt and turmeric powder for 2 to 4 hrs.
4. Heat oil in a pan, when it’s becoming smoking hot, add mustard seeds. As it’s starting to splutter, low the flame add ginger, garlic, dry red chili, and curry leaves.
5. Add fenugreek 1/2 tsp powder, 1 tsp asafoetida/hing (kayam), 4tsp chili powder.
6. Roast and mix well 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Do not burn the spices.
7. Add 2 tsp White Vinegar (adjust as per your mango’s sourness)
8. Add mango mixture along with the saltwater which extracts from the marinated mango pieces. you need more gravy/watery textured pickle, add 1/4-1/2 cup hot water. mix well.
9. Taste pickle, add salt if needed. Our instant Kerala mango pickle is ready.
10. Once it is cooled completely, store in an airtight glass bottle in the fridge. This pickle has a very short shelf life. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 1 – 2 weeks. Enjoy this mouthwatering pickle with your daily meals as well as special occasions like Onam and Vishu.
Special Notes and Tips
1. Choose fresh, sour, and fleshy mangoes for this recipe.
2. If you choose sour and thick-skinned mango for this recipe, please peel off the skin thinly.
3. This pickle has a very short shelf life. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 1 – 2 weeks.