Kerala, Kerala Recipes, Lunch, Lunch Side Dishes, Pickle Recipes, Pickles, South India, Spicy Recipes, Taste Hive Special, Vegetarian
Ada Manga Pickle (Kerala Dried Mango Pickle)
March 28, 2018
Ada Manga Pickle (Kerala Dried Mango Pickle) is a spicy and tasty veg side dish from India. In South India, pickles have very important role with any meal set. In Kerala, there are variety of lip smacking pickle recipes with mango, lemon, lime, gooseberry, seafood, meat, vegetables and fruits. Back home, from my childhood I am a drooling fan (kothichi) of pickles 😉 😀 especially variety of mango pickles. In Kerala, my home was full of mango trees. During the mango season, my mom used to prepare different kinds of mango pickles with different stages of mangoes such as kanni Manga Achaar (tender mango Pickle), Kadukku manga pickle (mango pickle with Mustard), Ada Manga/ Unnakka Manga Pickle (Pickle with Dried Mango) etc. The Malayalam word “ada manga” means dried mango. The Adamanga pickle is delicious and totally different taste from the normal raw mango pickle. It’s specialty is the dried, sour and salted texture and taste of ada manga. In Kerala during the mango season, most of the people store/preserve sun dried salted mango slices for future uses. It will be thinly sliced salted mangoes (with skin) sun dried for two to three weeks. The well-dried mangoes you can store 2 to 3 years in an appropriate storage. Also pickled Ada Manga Achar (Dried Mango Pickle) you can store longer than normal raw mango pickle. More days stored mango pickle gives you more rich taste and goes well with yogurt rice (Thayiru saadam).
Pickle, Spicy Veg Side Dish/ South India / kerala
40 to 45 Minutes
As per usage.
Ingredients For Ada Manga Pickle (Kerala Dried Mango Pickle)
- Ada Manga/ Dried Mango Slices
- 1 Cup
- Thinly Sliced Garlic ( I Used Fat One)
- 1/4 Cup
- Dry Chili
- 1 to 2 (Cut into Small)
- Curry Leaves
- 1 Sprig
- Gingelly Oil/ Nallenna
- 2 to 3 Tablespoon
- Mustard (Kaduku)
- 1/2 Teaspoon
- Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 2 to 3 Tablespoon(Adjust)
- Fenugreek Powder(Uluvapodi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon
- Asafoetida/Hing/Kaayam Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon
- For Gravy
- 1 to 1 1/2 Cup
How to make Ada Manga Pickle (Kerala Dried Mango Pickle) Method with Step by Step detailed Pictures.
1. wash and drain dried mango slices.
2. Heat oil in a wide pan. Pop Mustard.
3. Add garlic, dry chilli and curry leaves.
4. Fry until golden.
5. Lower the flame, add chilli, mustard and Asafoetida powder.
6. Mix well.
7. Add water.
8. Add Salt for gravy(Refer Notes). Allow it to boil.
9. Add dried mango, mix well.
10. Make sure, all mango slices well dip in the gravy.
11. Cook them until the dried mango become soft and the gravy well mix with each mango slices.
12. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool completely.
13. Store them in a dry glass jars/air tight containers or bharanni (Traditional Jars).
14. Use as per your taste and need (Use dry spoon each time to serve pickle from jar). Personally, I love this lip smacking pickle with boiled rice, yogurt or Pacha Moru or Kerala Moru Curry 🙂 .
Notes and Tips.
1. Adding salt carefully, Ada manga (dried Mango) already have salt.
2. For this recipe I used fresh chilly powder from kerala prepared by my mom. It is a combination (1:1 ratio) of piriyan mullakku/kashmiri Chilly (spice less chilly) and Normal Chilly (saada Mullakku) so it is spice less and colorful.You can add Kashmiri chilli powder also for the same effect.
2 Replies to “Ada Manga Pickle (Kerala Dried Mango Pickle)”
This recipe looks delicious! I’ve never thought of pickling mango, but this seems incredible! Thank you for sharing!
Thank You so much.