Simple Cinnamon Rolls (Swedish cinnamon buns)
July 22, 2020
Cinnamon rolls or simple cinnamon rolls are a perfect breakfast dish or tea-time snack; perfect for a quick snack as well. This is a simple and faster recipe. It would take a longer process for one to achieve perfection in these buns. These cinnamon rolls are not overwhelming with sweetness, which means that not only young children can savour this snack.
This recipe has been tested out by me and I have enjoyed them alongside my family. These simple cinnamon rolls are especially suitable for Christmas or Easter to fill your house with the aroma of cinnamon. Having a snack filled with powdered cinnamon and sugar on a regular day seems heavenly. In order to achieve these rolls, ensure that you have a well-working oven and a semi-sweet tooth for this Swedish delicacy.
Hope you all enjoy it! Do leave feedback about the recipe!
Ingredients for Rolls (dough)
- All-purpose flour
- 2 and 3/4 cups (345g)
- Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g)
- 1 teaspoon
- Instant or active dry yeast
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons
- Whole milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml)
- 1/4 cup (60ml)
- Unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons
- 1 large
Ingredients for Filling
- Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 3 tablespoons (45g)
- Powdered cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon
- Granulated sugar or Brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g)
How to make the dough for the Simple Cinnamon Rolls.
1. First, grab a large bowl and whisk the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast and then set it aside.
2. In a heatproof bowl or small pot, combine the milk, water, and butter together. Heat it up using the stove and ensure that the butter is melted. The mixture only has to be warm to touch, so do not heat it up too much. the temperature should roughly be around 43 degrees Celcius.
3. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients, add an egg, and stir well. Once it is less warm, you may use your hands to mix or you could use a mixer. Ensure that a soft dough forms.
4. Knead the dough for roughly 3 minutes on a lightly floured surface using floured hands.
5. Place it in a lightly greased bowl, using butter or a non-stick spray.
6. Cover it loosely and let it rest for 10 minutes.
How to fill the dough with the cinnamon filling.
1. Once it is rested, roll out the dough into a rectangle, 14×8 inches in measurement.
2. Then, spread softened butter on top. Mix the powdered cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle it over the buttered dough.
3. Cover the dough with cinnamon generously.
4. Roll up the dough tightly.
5. Cut into 10-12 even rolls and arrange in a lightly buttered round cake pan or pie dish.
6. Tightly cover the rolls with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and let it rise in a wind-free, warm environment for 60-90 minutes.
How to bake the cinnamon rolls.
1. After ensuring that the cinnamon rolls have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
2. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are slightly browned.
3. You can loosely cover the rolls with aluminum foil if the top gets too brown too quickly.
This would be the end result for the cinnamon rolls if you do not want any coating or icing.
However, if you want additional flavours or an increase in sweetness, you can make a sugar coating for your cinnamon rolls.
How to make a sugar coating.
1. You will need confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.
2. Whisk these ingredients in a bowl together.
3. Drizzle or spread over the warm rolls.