Quick and Easy Chicken Stew For Breakfast/Easy Pressure Cooker Chicken Stew.
February 20, 2018
Kerala Stew is a mild spicy and light coloured watery curry with milk (Coconut milk or cow’s milk), few fresh spices, vegetables like potato and carrot and tender meat(Chicken, Beef or Mutton) with bones. It is an indispensable recipe for Kerala Christians. They normally serve it as a side dish for appam or bread on special occasions like marriage functions as a starter or Christmas and Easter as a breakfast. Now days stew is an important item for Indian/Kerala restaurants/hotels menu. In Kerala, some places it is also known as Istoo. Here, you can see “how to cook Kerala Chicken Stew with traditional taste but very quick with the help of a pressure cooker”. Hope it is an easy and helpful recipe for bachelor cooks or beginners. Also a quick and tasty side dish recipe for a working man/woman because this yummy stew is a good combo for vellayappam, Idiyappam, Chappathi, pathiri, porota even though ghee rice or normal rice.
Ingredients For Chicken Stew Kerala Style
- Chicken With Bones
- 1 kg ( Medium Pieces)
- Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoon
- 4 to 5
- 2 Inch Piece(Cut into Small)
- Cloves (Grambu)
- 4 to 5
- Fennel Seeds (Perum Jeerakam)
- 1/2 Teaspoon
- Ginger (Chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon
- Onion (1 Big)
- Green Chilly
- 4 to 5 (Slit into Lengthwise)
- Curry Leaves
- One Sprig
- Potato (1 Big)
- Cubed (Big-medium size)
- carrot (1 Big)
- Diced into Big Pieces
- Black Pepper Seeds(kurumulkku)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- 2 to 3 Cups
- Fresh Milk
- 2 to 3 Cups
- To taste
- cashew Nuts
- 10 pieces
- 10 Pieces
- 1 Teaspoon (For roast Cashews and raisins)
1. Heat oil in a wide pan or pressure Cooker. Splutter Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves and Fennel seeds.
2. Add ginger, onion, green chilli and curry leaves. Stir until light brown (not golden brown). If it turns very brown, you can’t get the correct light colour.
3. Add Chicken Pieces, Mix well.
4. Place fresh whole pepper seeds in a mortar and pestle or a grinder.
5. Crush it well.
6. Transfer crushed pepper to the chicken. Stir and combine well.
7. Add potato and carrots.
8. Add water and salt, mix well.
9. Close and cook until chicken and vegetables done. If you are using pressure cooker, slow cook them in a low-medium heat until the cooker whistles once. Turn off the heat; keep aside the cooker until its pressure release completely.
10. Uncover and heat again.
11. Add fresh milk. Heat few minutes but do not boil. Taste it and add salt if required. Turn off the heat.
12. In another pan, heat ghee/oil add cashew nuts and raisins. Roast until golden brown, transfer it to the chicken stew. Mix well.
13. Serve Chicken Stew hot with appam, bread, chappathi, Idiyappam etc. enjoy!