Kerala Fish Curry with Coconut Ground Paste and Malabar Tamarind/ Meen Thenga Curry with Kudampulli
February 20, 2018
In Kerala Fish Curry is prepared in different ways such as Fish Mulakittathu (Spicy Red Colour Fish Curry), Fish Molly (Fish cooked in Coconut Milk), Fish Thenga Curry (Mild Spicy Orange colour Fish Curry in coconut gravy) etc. Coconut are very important ingredient and largely used in Kerala cuisine. The coconut cultivation of Kerala is wide and is the part of state economy and culture. The word Kerala is originated from two words ‘kera’ and ‘alam’. The meaning of ‘kera’ is ‘coconut tree’ and ‘alam’ means ‘land’. Also Kerala is one of the leading maritime states in India so they get fresh fish and seafood items daily. They normally prepared this kind of traditional recipe in Ammikallu or Grindstones and cooked in clay pots/mann chatti/ earthen cookware. This wholesome curry is a combination of fresh fish (big or small), coconut ground paste with number of spices, kudampulli/Malabar tamarind (cambogia/Garcinia), coconut oil and fresh curry leaves etc. According to Ayurveda, kudampulli/Malabar tamarind (cambogia/Garcinia) has lots of medicinal values, especially well for easy digestion. So Fish Curry cooked in coconut ground paste is a special and authentic recipe from Kerala. It is very comforting and healthy curry for a Malayalee/Keralite. They include and serve this yummy curry in their daily menu as a side dish for boiled rice or kappa (tapioca).
Ingredients For Kerala Fish Curry with Coconut Ground Paste
- 500g - Cleaned
- Coconut Oil
- 3 Table spoon
- Small Onion
- 2 Numbers - Chopped Finely
- Green Chilly
- 4 Numbers - Slit into two
- A Small Piece - Skinned and chopped finely
- Malabar Tamarind /Kudampuli
- 4 pieces - washed and soaked
- Curry Leaves
- 2 Cups (Approximately)
- As per your Taste
Ingredients For Coconut Ground Paste
- Fresh Grated coconut
- 1 Cup
- Chilly Powder
- 2 table spoon
- Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon
- Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon
- Small Onion
- 3 Numbers
How to make Kerala Fish Curry with Coconut Ground Paste and Malabar Tamarind/ Meen Thenga Curry with Kudampulli with step by step Method Pictures.
1. Cut and clean fish, keep aside.
2. Grate fresh coconut from shell.
3. Place ingredients for coconut ground paste in a mixer/blender jar.
4. Grind with little water and make a smooth paste form, keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a clay pot or non-stick pan. Add small onion, green chilli, ginger and curry leaves. Stir until golden brown.
6. Add coconut ground paste, Stir next 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Add soaked kudampuli (Malabar Tamarind) and some extra curry leaves.
8. Add 2 cups water and salt to taste, Mix well and allow boiling.
9. When boiled, add fish pieces.
10. Close and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish is done and gravy thicken.
11. Turn off the heat sprinkle some coconut oil and add few curry leaves. Keep few minutes for setting.
12. Serve Fish Curry with boiled rice, enjoy!